It did not turn out to be the super-spreader event that we all feared it might be.
Today, CNN reported that the Olympic Village reported 358 positive corona cases. While not insignificant, when considering the thousands who congregated in Olympic Village, this is an achievement. Kudos to host Japan!
For two weeks, self watched in awe as athletes battled their personal demons and PUT ON A SHOW.
Will never forget:
- Stanford’s Katie Ledecky, slaying all
- the courage of the entire US women’s gymnastics team: Suni Lee, Simone Biles, Mykayla Skinner, Jade Carey, Grace McCallum, and Jordan Chiles
- Bobby Finke’s amazing races
- Hidilyn Diaz delivering the Philippines’ first Olympic medal ever, and it was GOLD
- German swimmer Florian Wellbrock losing twice, in the 800 and 1500, then coming back to win the 10k
- Ukrainian swimmer Mykhailo Romanchuk, losing to Finke in the 1500, still having a sense of humor (photo-bombing Finke during his interview with Michelle Tafoya)
- Neeraj Chopra delivering India’s first Olympic gold in track, in the javelin
and so many, many other stories, impossible to list all here.
Hidilyn Diaz, Filipina weightlifting champion
AND they even got a Belarussian sprinter her freedom.
Can’t wait for Paris 2024.
Stay safe, dear blog readers. Stay safe.