Self is constantly tweaking her reading list. She likes to binge-read by theme. One year, she read nothing but travel books. Another year, she read only books written by women. Last year, she limited her reading to books written about, or on, islands.
Right now, self is interested in houses. Houses exude such a sense of permanence, they are wonderful to read about, especially during the holidays.
Currently reading: The Hobbit, by J. R. R. Tolkien
A Very Short List: Novels About Houses
- André Dubus’s House of Sand and Fog
- Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca (Manderley!)
- Dodie Smith’s I Capture the Castle
- E. M. Forster’s Howard’s End
- Evelyn Waugh’s Brideshead Revisited
- Harriet Beecher Stowe’s Uncle Tom’s Cabin
- Jane Austen’s Northanger Abbey
- Kenneth Grahame’s Wind in the Willows (Toad Hall!)
- Stella Gibbons’s Cold Comfort Farm
- V. S. Naipaul’s A House for Mr. Biswas
Stay tuned, dear blog readers. Stay tuned.